So you've just received your pair of winter boots and you want to keep them looking sharp? The lifespan of a boot will depend on how well it is maintained. Here are some tips and tricks!
- For the made-in-Canada RACHEL boots only: Your new boots have already received a high-quality waterproofing treatment from the factory. This includes suede and leather varieties. Upon the first powder, you have nothing do to but jump right in!
- Other insulated winter boots: These boots have not received specialized waterproofing treatments. However, leather is itself a water resistant material which will keep you comfy under normal use.
Treat Your Winter Boots Throughout Winter
- IMPORTANT: Always test the product on a small out-of-the-way patch to ensure satisfaction before applying everywhere. Do not over-apply, as it can alter the colour of your boot.
- Natural leather wax: restores the appearance of your boots, increasing their lifespan.
- Leather grease: like a hydrating skin cream, nourishes and protects the leather from cracking. Pay close attention to the seams and stitches.
- Waterproofing spray: Spray as much as you like! Clean your boots with a damp cloth, allow to dry, and spray away!
- Suede brush: Helps to remove stains from the suede. Gently brush soiled or scratched regions to restore the suede's original finish. Try both sides on a small patch to ensure satisfaction with one or the other.
- To prevent the famous white salt stains in winter, keep a rag or sponge by your door and wipe your boots upon arrival, before the salt has a chance to penetrate.
- The best care tip we can give you: an end-of-season trip to the cobbler. It never did any harm; it's like a spa for your boots!
- During the off-season, allow your boots to dry completely before storing them in a cool dark place, preferably in a dust bag, free from any source of humidity.
- Your boots will keep you dry, but it doesn't mean they're rain boots. Avoid spending time in deep puddles. ;)
- Mink oil: Take note that this product can be damaging for this kind of leather. We suggest a less oily product.
- All our products are made from quality leather, but it remains a sensitive material. Our boots are designed for city use, not snowshoeing adventures. Avoid excessive rubbing and scraping. It is entirely normal that scuffs and scratches accumulate over time.
Note: Feel free to use an after-market treatment of your choice. Be sure to always test in an inconspicuous location as some treatments can cause discolouration.
We wish you a happy warm winter!